As a new business, the common question is what is more important for your brand, your logo or website?
A common new business package (or rebranding package) includes: logo design, website design and business card design (so that you can share your business – digitally or in person).
What’s the most important? Your messaging and understanding of your target market.
Yes, that doesn’t answer your question directly but it is the foundation of it all your branding. You must know who your audience is, what they want and how your service helps them.
If you create a logo or website without understanding your customer, you will find that you may be revamping all your materials in the next year or two as you start to better understand your customer.
Your logo is important for brand recognition, and standing out from competitors, but your messaging is what helps you attract and connect with your ideal client.
Branding vs Marketing
What is Branding?
- A brand is a set of associations that a person (or group of people) makes with a company, product, service, individual or organization.
- If a brand results from a set of associations and perceptions in people’s minds, then branding is an attempt to harness, generate, influence and control these associations to help the business perform better.
What is Marketing?
- The process of promoting the value of a product or service in order to get someone to buy it.
- Marketing is the message you use to promote you product or service; what you say and how you say it to explain how awesome your product or service is and why people should pay for it.
Why Are Both Important?
- Branding alone does not make someone buy your product or service, but it does help you stand out from the competition.
- Marketing can be used to push or pull customers to buy your product or service, but it is not what differentiates you from your competitors.
So essentially, your logo is important for brand recognition and your website is vital for being found (if that is how client search for you). The branding on your website is important, but your messaging is vital to have clients reach out and contact you.
The answer is, each case is unique but make sure you understand your ideal client and know the messaging to create so that they understand how you help them, and they want to work with you (magnetic marketing).
If you are exploring a brand refresh, or are starting a new business, I invite you to schedule a marketing consultation to determine the best path for your business success.